Golf Cart Battery To Blame For Huntersville Townhome Fire

HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. — Electrical failure of a battery charger is to blame for a town home fire that broke out just before 1 a.m. Sunday in the Skybrook subdivision.
Mecklenburg County Fire Investigator, Mike Petleski, says a golf cart battery was charging inside the home of 11436 which started the fire. 
The three adult residents were not inside the home. No pets were inside and no one was injured.
Huntersville stations 1, 3, Odell FD and Charlotte Fire Station 31 were dispatched to the home after callers reported a fire from the garage with residents trapped inside. 
Crews arrived to a heavy fire showing from the first and second floors on the middle row of the town home. 
Huntersville Police say there was extensive damage to the townhome.
The room above the garage, garage and two cars were destroyed in the fire. Crews removed the cars from the garage upon arrival, but were unable to save them.
The downstairs and the living area are the only spaces that remain in tact inside the home.
Fire fighters were able to keep the surrounding townhomes from anything but smoke and slight fire damage. 
The Red Cross assisted the residents and offered food, shelter, clothing and comfort kits.
Forty firefighters, medic and Huntersville police responded to the scene. 
The fire is still under investigation by the Mecklenburg County Fire Marshal to determine cause and origin.