CHARLOTTE, N.C. – CMPD Chief of Police Rodney Monroe announced his retirement Monday. His last day will be July 1. Monroe has been Charlotte’s top cop since 2008.
In a news release to WCCB Charlotte, Monroe says, “I’m honored to have served as your chief for seven years. CMPD has experienced historic crime reductions, fostered trust and built upon established community partnerships. None of this would have been achieved without the hard work and commitment from each and every member of our organization. There is no doubt the current leadership will continue to move this department forward in a direction that further strengthens our community into one we are all very proud to be a part of.”
Charlotte Mayor Dan Clodfelter says, “Chief Monroe has been an exceptional leader for the men and women of CMPD, and his unwavering commitment to strengthening police-community relations has proven to have a powerful and, I believe, lasting impact on our City. While we recognize this is a tremendous loss for the department and for all of us in Charlotte, we also congratulate Chief Monroe on his retirement and his exemplary career of public service.”
Charlotte City Manager Ron Carlee says, “Charlotte has been extremely fortunate to have Chief Monroe’s leadership for the past seven years and his tireless promotion of positive and constructive community-police relations. Charlotte is a safer and stronger community for his work. No one could have served Charlotte better during this period. Personally, it has been a privilege to work with Chief Monroe. He is the consummate professional administrator and has been my closest advisor. No job in local government today is more demanding than that of Police Chief and Rodney Monroe has earned a well-deserved break from the intensity of truly never being off duty. I wish him and his family the very best in the next phase of his life.”
Last week, the City of Charlotte and CMPD settled a civil suit with the family of Jonathan Ferrell for $2.25 million. Ferrell was shot and killed by CMPD Officer Wes Kerrick in September 2013. Chief Monroe charged Kerrick hours after the shooting. Kerrick’s attorneys say the Chief failed to conduct a thorough investigation before filing the charges. Kerrick’s criminal trial is scheduled to begin July 20.
A city spokesperson says Information on Chief Monroe’s replacement will be made available later this week.