Health Care Rally in Charlotte as Debate Continues

CHARLOTTE, NC – After the latest plan to repeal and replace Obamacare failed, a Charlotte group wants to go in another direction.

“We have a model that’s working, we just feel like we need to expand it,” says Margie Storch, with Health Care Justice NC.

The group rallied in First Ward Park Sunday to support expanding Medicare.

The current program provides coverage to Americans over 65.

“We’re here today to let people know we want to protect Medicare, improve it and expand it to cover everyone,” Storch says.

In Washington, Republican leaders will have to decide if they want to continue the health care debate.

Senator Susan Collins was one of three Republicans who joined with Democrats to defeat the latest bill last week.

“We need to go back to committee, to the health committee and the finance committee, identify the problems, carefully evaluate possible solutions,” Collins says.

Despite setbacks, President Trump on Twitter insists, “Unless the Republican Senators are total quitters Repeal & Replace is not dead! Demand another vote before voting on any other bill!”

“It is failing. It is hurting people. So to not change it allows that to go forward. That’s a policy consideration. At the same time, you have the political consideration that you promised folks you’d do this for seven years. You cannot go back on that,” says Director of Office of Management and Budget Mick Mulvaney.

Those rallying Sunday in Charlotte say they want to see something else.

“Go on and approve Medicare and extend it to everybody in this country,” says Dr. Jessica Schorr Saxe, with Health Care Justice NC.