Boone Town Council Requests Changes Following Boone Hotel Deaths

Tools

by Christine Noel
by Chris Keimig, Photojournalist

BOONE, N.C. -- For Boone Town Council members, the hot topic is carbon monoxide detectors.

The topic was placed on this week's agenda following the recent death of 11-year-old Jeffrey Williams. He was the third person killed this year from carbon monoxide poisoning at the Best Western Hotel on East King Street.

Darly and Shirly Mae Jenkins died in the same room in April. Investigators say a deficient and corroded pool heater located below room 225 is to blame.

Tuesday night,  Council members voted unanimously to send a request to the State Building Code Council. They want the building code changed to require carbon monoxide detectors in all hotels and motels.

It's a complex issue they say, needs to be acted upon quickly.

blog comments powered by Disqus