Dilworth Residents On Alert Following Spike In Home Break-Ins
CHARLOTTE, N.C.--Carlos Ruiz was hard at work in Dilworth on Thursday afternoon. The construction worker was rattled when he witnessed a burglary last month. "It happens, it happens man," he said. Carlos wasn't the only worker busy in the Dilworth community on Thursday.
A FOX Charlotte camera crew spotted painters, carpet cleaners and one handyman after another
Charlotte Mecklenburg Police say the spike comes at the same time they've noticed a surge in solicitations for yard work. They say neighbors should think twice about who they hire for work. Paying close attention to questions that don't make sense. C.M.P.D. Officer Jim Gilliland said, "If they are asking to mow your yard but they want to know if you are home. Or things like that. Those should be red flags that stand out to you."
Sara White has lived here for eight years. She said, "Yeah it is a little concerning, I've never heard of anything quite like that before." White said she's more aware, "What I have is mine so I wanna keep it safe." As the latest crime wave sweeps through this part of the city, Ruiz hopes neighbors don't get mixed up, "Maybe you are one of those guys?" He said. Ruiz doesn't want to be mistaken for anything less than a hard working father of three.
Police have shifted patrols and added resources in Dilworth. The latest crime stats show residential burglaries were down almost three percent citywide through the end of April.
What's On TonightFull Schedule