Matthews Kitchen Fire Displaces 23 Residents
MATTHEWS, N.C. -- A kitchen fire in a first floor apartment in Matthews displaced residents of 23 different units in the Berkshires of Matthews Apartments Friday night.
Matthews firefighters told Fox Charlotte, residents that live on the third floor were jumping out of windows to get out.
Matthews Fire & EMS responded to Berkshires of Matthews Apartments, located at 1700 Chambers Drive, for a report of heavy fire and smoke on the third floor of an apartment building. The call for service came in around 9:00 PM. Two people were injured and were taken to CMC Main, more possible life-threatening injuries.
Firefighters from Matthews, City of Charlotte, Mecklenburg, and Union County assisted. The American Red Cross was also on the scene to help with finding shelter for the displaced families.The Red Cross provided assistance for food, shelter, clothing and other needs. They also provided the first responders with drinks and snacks. Three people were placed in hotels.
All families affected had renter's insurance.