Monroe Doesn't Want to 'Sit' on Bianca Tanner Investigation
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police have elevated the Bianca Tanner case from a missing person investigation to a homicide investigation. The 31-year-old hasn't been seen since Sunday morning. There's been no activity on her cell phone or credit cards.
CMPD Chief Rodney Monroe also says, "There are significant inconsistencies in some statements that we've received."
Monroe declined to name names when it comes to suspects in the Tanner homicide investigation. He did say they are looking at more than one person. He also confirmed what WCCB reported on Tuesday: Tanner and her boyfriend Angelo Smith had an argument just before she was last seen. Smith reported her missing about 12 hours after she disappeared. He said she had been drinking when she walked away from their north Charlotte apartment. Monroe says, "We have not been able to confirm positively that she did leave that location on her own free will."
And more mystery surrounds the boyfriend's car. Neighbor Bobby Fox says, "The young guy who was staying here, his car was always parked in front of the house." It's gone. Police did search it a couple days ago, but now, don't know where it is.
Monroe says police also searched the couple's apartment. He says there will be more searches in the days ahead. Neighbors say the couple seemed very attached to each other. Tanner was a school teacher in Greensboro and moved here recently to look for a job. Smith keeps to himself, but did tell one neighbor he works for Bank of America and has an international business degree. Fox says, "He seemed a very mild mannered young man, head on straight." Resident Joyce Fox says, "I do hope and I pray that they find her, and I pray for her safe return, and I pray for her family."
Bianca Tanner's three-year-old son was with her this past weekend, but the toddler is now back with his father, who lives out of town. There is a $5,000 reward for anyone who can help find Bianca Tanner.