Victim's Family Reacts to Dropped Charge
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - "I would like closure, my family would like closure and we would like the right person convicted for my son's death," says Sonia Smith. She wears the exhaustion of the past year on her face. Her son, 22-year-old Antwan Smith, was shot in the head and killed just after Speed Street in May 2011.
21-year-old Antonio Thompkins turned himself in after hearing police were looking for him. But Monday, after more than a year's worth of investigation, the Mecklenburg County District Attorney's Office dismissed the murder charge, citing a lack of cooperative witnesses and truthful testimony.
FOX News @ Ten anchor Morgan Fogarty asked Smith, "Do you feel in your heart like Antonio Thompson is responsible for this?" She replied, "I do." Smith says she knows someone saw something because there were five thousand people at last year's Speed Street event.
She is begging for anyone who knows anything to step forward. "It's devastating to the family. We can't say anymore than we would just like the people that know what happened to step forward," says Smith.
Thompkins, meantime, has been reunited with his family after spending more than a year behind bars. "From there, trying to piece back his life and get back to living again," says his attorney Jeremy Smith.
Thompkins has declined interview requests, but his attorney says the state was right to drop the murder charge. "We know that in the evidence there were witnesses saying somebody else was involved," he says.
We asked Sonia Smith if she was pleased with the work the District Attorney's Office and CMPD detectives have done on her son's murder investigation. She tells us she had no comment.