Murder Mystery in Stanly County

Tools

by Morgan Fogarty
Bio | Email | Follow: @morganfogarty by Photographer Billy Carrier

BADIN, N.C. - 27-year-old Jason Burleson was found dead in his Badin home on Groves Avenue.  Friends showed up at the house Sunday to check on him and called 911.  "It's my understanding that it was actually a medical emergency call and that the deceased was found in the basement and at that time it was quite obvious there was foul play involved," says Stanly County Sheriff Rick Burris.

He says Burleson's body, which had no gun shot wounds, had been in the basement for about 24 hours.  Detectives are working with the State Bureau of Investigation 'round the clock, interviewing "people of interest."

WCCB News @ Ten anchor Morgan Fogarty asked the Sheriff if there was any reason to believe that the public should have any concerns that this was a random crime.  Burris says, "I don't think it's random.  I think the subject, whoever killed this fellow, they knew each other, I'm sure."

There have been media reports that the house was ransacked when investigators first arrived.  But the Sheriff disputes that, telling WCCB that the home was simply messy.  It's taken investigators a while to process the scene.  They've been at the house since Sunday.

"It brought back tears, sorrow, I just pray for the family because I know how they feel," says Linda Lindsey.  She was drawn to the crime scene.  Her grandson, Trammell Watkins, was murdered about two years ago in Stanly county.  The case remains unsolved.  Lindsey says, "I wish the family closure and I wish 'em well.  I know what they're gonna go through."

We spoke with Burleson's brother on the phone.  He said the family is not commenting on the investigation at this time.  As for reports that Burleson was found bound to a chair with his hands duct taped together, the Sheriff told WCCB he wouldn't confirm or deny that.

blog comments powered by Disqus
f