SYDNEY (AP) — An Australian mountaineer who had been given up for dead near the summit of Everest in 2006 has died of cancer.
Friends and climbing partners said Lincoln Hall died Wednesday at a Sydney hospital a year after being diagnosed with mesothelioma. He had been exposed to asbestos doing construction work early in his life.
Hall reached the peak of the world's highest mountain but became gravely ill due to oxygen deprivation during the descent.
His guides helped him initially before leaving him to save their own lives.
American guide Daniel Mazur was shocked to come across Hall the next day, alone, without hat or gloves, sitting up and coherent enough to quip jokes.
What's On TonightFull Schedule