CHARLOTTE, NC- “A Healthy Slice of Life” blogger Brittany Dixon cooks up a classic favorite in the Rising kitchen!
One of the greatest things as a kid is finding a surprise in your lunch box every day at school. Sometimes that can get a little pricey though.
Dixon says it’s easy to make your own version, saving you a little bit of money. She shows how simple it is to whip up Brown Rice Crispy Treats.
Here’s what you need:
- 2/3 cup coconut nectar (or other low glycemic sweetner like brown rice syrup)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 cup brown rice cereal
- Place the nectar and butter in a small sauce pan and bring to a full boil over medium heat.
- Boil for 1 minute, remove from heat and stir in vanilla and salt.
- Pour mixture over cereal and stir until evenly covered.
- Press the mixture into a parchment-paper lined 9 inch baking pan and press into pan firmly.
- Place in freezer for 45 minutes to set, then remove and cut into bars
Dixon suggests shaping the bars into pumpkins or other fun fall shapes for the Thanksgiving kids table.