96-Year-Old Woman Dies During House Fire

CLEVELAND COUNTY, NC — A 96-year-old woman was overcome by smoke and died after a fire in her Cleveland County home Wednesday.

According to Cleveland County Fire Marshal Perry Davis, a child who lives across the street spotted smoke coming from the home on Ross Road in the Waco community just before 3 p.m. His parents called 9-1-1.

The fire marshal says the blaze was started by an electrical problem with an extension cord. The woman’s name has not been released.

The woman’s son also lives at the home, but he was not there at the time.