Whitewater Center Passes Inspection

CHARLOTTE, NC — Health inspectors say the Whitewater Center rapids are safe. The Mecklenburg County Health Department tested the water Thursday, and says the center is in compliance with regulations.

It’s one of four surprise inspections the health department will make this year, to test the water and check the center’s cleaning records.

County commissioners made the health department take over inspections after an Ohio girl contracted a brain-eating amoeba in the water and died last summer. 18-year-old Lauren Sights died 11 days after visiting the Whitewater Center with her church group.

The centers for disease control found the filtration system was not adequate to kill the amoeba. The center has added to the purification process.