Child Murders in NC Leave Families Waiting for Justice

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – A sign reading, “sweet baby Mariah, we love you,” stands at a growing memorial in the wake of news that the body of 3-year-old Mariah Woods was recovered from Shelter Creek in Pender County on Saturday night, six days after the little girl was reported missing.

Her mother’s boyfriend, 32-year-old Earl Kimrey, was in court Monday after being arrested in connection to Mariah’s death. His bond is set at $1 million. Investigators say he’s charged with obstruction of justice and concealing a death. What led to Mariah’s death, who killed her,  and how they drained the life from the three-year-old girl are all still under investigation.

It is a story, sadly, all too familiar. A young child, killed. The child’s care giver, charged in the crime.

Remember Malaya Heun? The 15-month-old little girl from Kannapolis was beaten to death in January 2014. Her case has still not been brought to trial. A law enforcement source didn’t have any new information when WCCB News @ Ten anchor Morgan Fogarty asked Monday, but reiterated that the girl’s aunt, Alisha Carlisle, has been released from jail, Carlisle’s boyfriend, John Travis Turner, is still in custody, and that no trial date has been set. Fogarty asked the Rowan County District Attorney, Brandy Cook,  about a trial date. Cook replied, “The matter is pending. Due to the NC rules of professional conduct, I respectfully do not have any further comment at this time.”

And don’t forget three-year-old Jordyn Dumont. She was beaten to death in August 2016, and her her body was dumped in the woods behind her Gaston County home. Her mother’s boyfriend, William “Skip” McCullen, was charged with first degree murder just hours after Jordyn’s body was found. Jordyn’s case also has yet to go to trial. Fogarty asked Josh Kinnett, Jordyn’s dad, if he knew of any updates in his daughter’s case. He replied, “Because of the gag order, there’s nothing they can really do or say in anyway,” as well as reiterating that he’s been told the case will go to trial in July. He continued, “I’m just waiting for the day to come for people to be brought to justice.”

The man charged in connection to Mariah’s death, Earl Kimrey, will be back in court on December 18th.