CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Fifteen people were sent to area hospitals after experiencing an illness in east Charlotte on Sunday.
The Mecklenburg County Health Department says several people were attending a neighborhood birthday party at the Four Winds Apartments on Four Seasons Lane on Sunday when they suddenly became ill.
Soon after, several 911 calls came in around 5 p.m. Medic responded to five separate 911 calls within an hour at the same apartment complex for general illness complaints.
Fifteen people were transported to Atrium and Novant facilities per Medic. One patient is seriously ill, but all are expected to recover.
The following is from Gibbie Harris, Mecklenburg County Health Director:
Due to the illness experienced by a number attending the Neighborhood Birthday Party at the Four Winds Apartments in East Charlotte on Saturday, June 30th, all those attending the event should:
- Not eat any food that you may have taken home from the party.
- Be washing their hands
- Before preparing or eating food
- Before touching your eyes, nose, or mouth
- After using the restroom
- After blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing
- Seek medical attention if you experience these symptoms
- Loose bowel movements that may contain blood or mucous
- Stomach cramps
- Also, if you have food that was served at the event, please keep it refrigerated and contact Environmental Health at 980-314-1660. Someone will be in touch with you to pick it up.
There is no word yet on what caused the illness.
The Health Department is still investigating.