Are you thinking about getting your truck or SUV ready to tow? Then you need to know what equipment you should be putting in your shopping cart. Toyota of N Charlotte is here to help you choose the right kind AND get you affordable deals through our parts department. Check out our quick guide to towing equipment before you hit the road!
Don’t miss our quick guide to towing gear
Why is it so important to choose the right towing equipment? Well, safety, for starters. Towing something without the right gear can put you and your passengers (and everyone else out on the road) in a dangerous situation. Additionally, you can cause damage to your N Charlotte Toyota that’s expensive to repair. That’s why it’s essential to ensure you have the right tools before you hitch up and head out.
The main part of your equipment will be your hitch, and there are five main types:
- Class 1 can pull up to 2,000 lbs and is designed for smaller vehicles like sedans – this hitch is good for bike racks and small, light trailers.
- Class 2 can handle up to 3,500 lbs and is designed for midsize SUVs.
- Class 3 is a bigger hitch that can pull up to 8,000 lbs – this means items like larger trailers and boats.
- Class 4 hitches can pull up to 10,000 lbs, taking things up a notch.
- Class 5 hitches are for big, heavy items and are typically used on heavy-duty trucks. You’ll be able to tow up to 20,000 lbs with this hitch.
Plus, there are other specialty options. You can also deck out your N Charlotte Toyota with hitches like:
- Weight distribution, which redistributes the weight of the item you’re towing so the front end of your car isn’t affected by the weight
- 5th wheel, which sits in the bed of the truck (rather than near the back bumper) and can pull up to 25,000 lbs
- Bumper, which is contrastingly used for light weights and can be attached to a car’s bumper instead of the undercarriage
Shop Charlotte car parts and get your gear for an affordable price!
However, the hitch isn’t the only towing equipment you’ll need to hit the road safely. Here are some of the other items you should look into; you can find all of them at Toyota of N Charlotte’s car parts store!
- Sway control equipment to prevent the trailer from swaying
- Safety chains to use as a backup system in case the hitch should malfunction
- Trailer brake lights and turn signals
- A hitch lock for better security
- A trailer jack to ensure the tongue of your trailer stays off the ground when it’s not attached to your vehicle
Ready to shop? Call Toyota of N Charlotte today – our parts department is ready and waiting to help you at 704-659-2025. Ask about our parts specials and also don’t forget, we offer affordable Charlotte auto service to get your ride prepped and ready for towing!