CHARLOTTE, NC (News Release) — On April 23, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommended the use of the Johnson & Johnson (Janssen) COVID-19 vaccine resume in the United States after a temporary pause. A review of all available data at this time shows that the Johnson & Johnson (Janssen) COVID-19 vaccine’s known and potential benefits outweigh its known and potential risks.
Novant Health agreed with the decision by the FDA and CDC to pause administration while they worked to confirm the vaccine’s safety. After carefully reviewing their report, Novant Health will resume administering the Johnson & Johnson (Janssen) vaccine starting Thursday, April 29. Resuming use of the Johnson & Johnson (Janssen) COVID-19 vaccine will ensure flexibility, choice, and improved access.
We believe patients should be able to choose which product is best for them. Here’s what community members need to know:
- Initially, the Johnson & Johnson vaccine will be available at Novant Health Medical Group – East Meck and Novant Health Medical Group – Hanes vaccination sites. Click here for location and hours.
- When scheduling, all patients can view which brand is available at each of our vaccination sites on a given day or time and can select their appointment time, accordingly. Walk-ins are also welcome at all locations as supply allows.
- Novant Health has an ample supply of two-dose vaccines. Our goal is to offer a mRNA vaccine everywhere we offer the J&J vaccine as best we can. That said, if logistics or supply don’t enable that, we will continue to promote which vaccine will be available at community events so people are aware prior to showing up. We also indicate on our appointment finder which vaccine you are signing up for.
- Novant Health strongly encourages anyone who has questions or concerns about the J&J vaccine to discuss with their primary care provider or review information from the CDC and FDA.
- You do not have to be a Novant Health patient to make an appointment or walk-in for a vaccine.
How to schedule:
- ·If you have a MyChart account, appointment availability can be accessed under Visits à Schedule an appointment.
- NOTE: MyChart is the best way to schedule an appointment. Anyone can create a MyChart account by visiting MyNovant.Org.
- If you do not have a MyChart account, you can schedule as a guest at GetVaccinated.org.