Vaccine Sites In 44 N.C. Counties To Offer Cash Incentives
Health officials say the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services is expanding the number of locations providing $25 Summer Cards for getting the COVID vaccine.
Officials say participating vaccination sites in 44 counties will offer the cards to anyone 18-years-old and up, who get their first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine or drive someone to their vaccination, in order to offset time and transportation costs.
“Some people need help covering the cost of taking time away from work and for transportation, and the Summer Cards are one way to help. What’s really exciting is that we saw some people who received their first dose at a Summer Card event then drove others to help them get their vaccine,” says NCDHHS Secretary Mandy K. Cohen, M.D.
Original Story (6/3/21):
RALEIGH, N.C. — Interested in a little extra spending money for the upcoming holiday weekend? Health officials in four North Carolina counties will offer $25 incentives for those who’ve yet to get the COVID-19 vaccine.
The state Department of Health and Human Services announced a pilot program starting Wednesday at certain vaccine sites in Mecklenburg, Guilford, Rowan and Rockingham counties.
Adults who get their first vaccination dose at the sites or drive someone for that first-dose appointment will receive $25 cash cards, DHHS said in a new release.
The “Summer Cash Cards” will be available through June 8 while supplies last. The card program is being paid for with federal funds to support vaccine access, DHHS spokeswoman Catie Armstrong said, while the State Employees Credit Union is help provide the actual cards for the pilot..
The incentive is another effort by DHHS to boost vaccination rates entering the summer. The North Carolina Zoo offered last week a free ticket for those that received their first vaccination at a clinic on the zoo property. A similar offer will occur June 10-12.
More than 52% of the adult population in North Carolina had received at least one dose as of late last week, according to DHHS data.
The following MCPH locations will offer the $25 Summer Cash Cards this week:
- MEDIC: Mecklenburg EMS Agency, 4425 Wilkinson Boulevard, Charlotte
- Wednesday, June 2nd, 12 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Friday, June 4th.
- Monday, June 7th, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Northwest Health Department, 2845 Beatties Ford Road, Charlotte
- Wednesday, June 2nd, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Southeast Health Department, 249 Billingsley Road, Charlotte
- Thursday, June 3rd, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Catawba Brewing Co., 933 Louise Avenue, Charlotte
- Friday, June 4th, 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Food Truck Friday, 5700 Westpark Drive, Charlotte
- Friday, June 4th, 3 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Movement School Eastland, 5249 Central Avenue, Charlotte
- Saturday, June 5th, 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Click here to find mores sites in North Carolina participating in vaccine incentives.