One Dead After Accidental East Charlotte Fire At Apartment Complex

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — One person is dead after an accidental fire at an east Charlotte apartment complex early Tuesday morning.

Firefighters responded to Kelston Place, off of Albemarle Road, around 4 a.m. in response to carbon monoxide alarms sounding off at the complex. Upon arrival, firefighters forced entry to an apartment on the 2nd floor and found a smoldering fire in the kitchen.

The fire was put out by Charlotte firefighters upon arrival at the scene. According to officials, one person was inside during the time of fire. The fire department said the patient did not survive.

Investigators have stated that the fire was accidental due to unattended cooking. All occupants returned to their apartments once the Carbon Monoxide levels were safe. Officials say the estimated fire damages are estimated to be $10,000.