West Charlotte Church Members Hospitalized After Carbon Monoxide Leak

This video is no longer available.

CHARLOTTE, NC – Six people were taken to the hospital, five with life-threatening injuries after a carbon monoxide leak at a West Charlotte church.

A small group of about 15 people, including children, were meeting at Shiloh Institutional Baptist Church. They were practicing for a Black History Month event when people became nauseous, with flu-like symptoms.

Fire crews measured Carbon Monoxide levels at 1000 parts per million. By comparison, a carbon monoxide detector usually goes off around 35 parts per million.

Investigators believe a gas heater is to blame.

Associate Minister Joseph Talley says it’s fortunate this didn’t happen Sunday when many more people would have been at the church.

Services have been cancelled Sunday, and the church will not be able to re-open until the heating problem is fixed.