CHARLOTTE, N.C. — The American Red Cross is encouraging residents to be prepared in advance for the winter storms forecasted for tonight.
“It’s always easier to make a plan and gather resources before a storm hits which is why the American Red Cross always encourages preparedness,” said American Red Cross Western North Carolina Region CEO Angela A. Broome. “Now is the time to get ready and prepare before the storm starts.”
Some of the most important things have in order to be prepared for a winter storm include:
• Food and Water- have at least a 3-day supply; one gallon of water per person per day is recommended
• Flashlights with batteries
• Battery-powered or hand-crank radio and extra batteries
• First aid kit as well as medications (7-day supply) and medical items (hearing aids with extra batteries, glasses, contact lenses, syringes, cane)
• Fully charge cell phones and laptops prior to the storm
• Warm coats, gloves or mittens, hats, boots, extra blankets, and warm clothing for all household members
• Heat your home safely- Keep anything that can burn 3 feet away from a fireplace, wood stove, or space heater
For more information, click here.