Fire Breaks Out Near Northlake Mall

CHARLOTTE, NC– A popular restaurant near Northlake Mall is closed tonight after a fire broke out this afternoon.

Mimi’s Cafe was evacuated while firefighters worked to put out the fire.

Employees tell us the fire started in a restroom and the smoke quickly spread to the kitchen.

“It just started getting extremely smokey, alot of flames started coming out and we told everyone to leave the restaurant as soon as you can,” said employee Shavonne Placcide.

The Fire was cause by an improperly discarded cigarette and caused around $250,000 worth of damage.