New Details After Second Bus Fire in Less Than One Month

CHARLOTTE, NC — Wednesday, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools will answer questions about a school bus fire in Southwest Charlotte Tuesday.

It happened on Downs Rd.

No kids were on board, and the driver escaped.

It’s the second CMS bus fire in less than a month.
WCCB Charlotte has learned both buses are the same model.

They are both 2001 / 2002 cat 31-26 Freightliner Thomas buses.

The state is sending two inspectors to Charlotte Wednesday to look at the latest charred bus.

We spoke to witnesses who ran down to help.

“We ran down there, all of us, quick as we could and took all our fire extinguishers we had over there,” said Morris Dellinger.

October 19, 16 South Mecklenburg High School students escaped a bus fire at the country club apartments on Dunlavin way in East Charlotte.

The Department of Public Instruction says inspectors could not determine why that bus caught on fire and started inspecting 250 CMS buses with similar engines to look for wiring problems. So far, no areas of concern.