Investigators Find Body Believed To Be Missing North Carolina Boy, Death Likely Accidental
Investigators believe they have found the body of Raul Gonzalez Johnson, the four-year-old boy who was missing from his home in Laurinburg, North Carolina, and that his death was an accident.
Scotland County Sheriff Ralph E. Kersey and other officials held a press conference Saturday evening after a dive team found a body believed to be Gonzalez Johnson’s earlier in the day.
Investigators believe they have found the body of Raul Gonzalez Johnson, the four-year-old boy who was missing from his home in Laurinburg, North Carolina.
According to the F.B.I, the body was found in a pond off Peabridge Road. The Scotland County Coroner must confirm the identity of the deceased and the cause of death.
Raul Gonzalez Johnson’s family has been notified.
The F.B.I.’s Evidence Response team is also responding to the scene.
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — The FBI says they are now assisting in the search for a missing North Carolina boy. Four-year-old Raul Gonzalez Johnson was reported missing earlier this week in Scotland County.
Officials with the Charlotte Fire Department and the Mooresville Fire Department are also assisting in the search.
Raul is described as a 4-year-old biracial (Native American and Hispanic) boy who is three feet tall and weighs 38 pounds. He was last seen wearing a white and orange tiger striped shirt and white pants with rocket ships on them.
Raul’s sister described him as a shy, sweet boy while speaking with WCCB’s Alexandra Elich today.
The child’s grandfather told officials he was watching the child at his home on Village Drive near Crestline Road in Laurinburg, NC, but lost track of him and called 911. Police now believe the child was abducted. No details have been released on who may have abducted him.
Anyone with information on his whereabouts is asked to call 911 immediately.
The FBI Charlotte office released a list of nearly 50 law enforcement partners, search & rescue crews, and volunteers already assisting with the search. The list includes several agencies from local counties.
- Scotland County Sheriff’s Office
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- North Carolina State Highway Patrol
- Laurinburg Police Department
- McColl Police Department
- Hamlet Police Department
- Wake County Sheriff’s Office K9
- Wagram Fire Department
- Moore County Sheriff’s Office
- Richmond County Sheriff’s Office
- Marlboro County Sheriff’s Office
- North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation
- Florence County Sheriff’s Office
- Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office
- Fayetteville Police Department
- Fayetteville Dive Team
- Pitt County Search & Rescue
- Pender County EMS & Rescue
- Wilson County Emergency Management
- Scotland County Rescue/EMS
- Lumberton Search & Rescue
- Cumberland County Dive Team
- Charlotte Fire Department
- Robeson County Search & Rescue
- South Orange Search & Rescue
- North Carolina K9 Response Team
- Pinelands Search & Rescue
- Gates County Search & Rescue
- Alamance County Search & Rescue
- Rowan County Search & Rescue
- Coastal Carolina Search & Rescue
- Catawba County Sheriff’s Office
- REDS Team
- NC Project Lifesaver
- Greenville Fire Rescue
- Mooresville Fire Department
- Laurel Hill Fire Department
- Hamlet Fire Department
- McColl Fire Department
- Stewartsville Fire Department
- Laurinburg Fire Department
- Richmond County Emergency Management
- Moore County Emergency Management
- Johnston County Search & Rescue
- National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
- Gryphon Group
- Scotland County District Attorney’s Office
- American Red Cross