Wood Stove Sparks Fire, Warning From Gastonia Fire Officials

GASTONIA, NC — A Friday morning fire has sparked a warning from the Gastonia Fire Department about taking proper precautions when using wood stoves this winter.

The fire happened around 10am at the Safety Check Inspection located at 914 West Franklin Boulevard. Crews reported seeing light smoke showing when they arrived on scene, and quickly extinguished the fire.

Investigators say the fire resulted from an improperly maintained wood stove. No injuries were reported.

The Gastonia Fire Department and the National Fire Protection Association has issued the following reminders for residents using wood stoves and fire places for heat this winter:

  1. Have heating equipment and Chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
  2. Install wood burning stoves following manufacturer’s instructions or have a professional do the installation. All fuel-burning equipment should be vented to the outside to avoid carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
  3. Install and maintain CO alarms to avoid the risk of CO poisoning.
  4. Test smoke alarms at least once a month.