Man Arrested After Father-Son Dispute Leads to Deputy-Involved Shooting in Iredell County

The Latest:

Authorities have arrested the man who was shot after being accused of pointing a firearm at a deputy in Iredell County.

Peter Hay was shot by Deputy Joanna Smith on November 24th after the deputy responded to a domestic dispute at Hay’s home, according to a news release.

Peter Hay

Hay was treated at a hospital in Charlotte but has since been released and charged with felony assault with a firearm on a law enforcement officer and communicating threats.  He was issued a $150,000 bond.

Read the original story below for more details.

Original Story (Posted Nov. 25, 2018):

IREDELL CO., N.C. – We’re learning more about what led to a deputy-involved shooting in Iredell County.

It happened at a home off Brawley School Road near Lake Norman late Saturday night. Investigators say the deputy opened fire after a man answered the door holding a gun.

“Obviously they took the actions they thought were necessary,” says neighbor Dale Holden.

The shooting happened on Tall Oak Drive just after 10 Saturday night.

Deputies were responding to a call about a domestic disturbance between a father and son.

“My wife says she thought she heard a noise, she couldn’t describe it as a gunshot at the time, later she recollected it may have been a gunshot,” Holden says.

Sheriff Darren Campbell says the deputy heard screaming inside before she went to the door and identified herself multiple times.

After the shooting, she rendered aid to the man, whose name has not been released, but is expected to be OK.

Holden says he knows the family involved and says the situation is unfortunate.

“People have human nature and sometimes get the right circumstances together, the right conditions, and even good people can make mistakes, and it sounds like some good people made a mistake, and however it works out, we hope it’s the best for all those involved,” Holden says.

The SBI is now involved in the investigation.

The Sheriff says, at this point, it appears the Deputy did follow proper procedure.