More Suspects Cutting Off Electronic Monitors, According To CMPD
CHARLOTTE, NC. — There are concerns about the use of electronic monitors in Charlotte. More suspects are cutting them off, and others are committing serious crimes while wearing them. Charlotte’s top cop is calling out judges for letting repeat, violent offenders on the streets with electronic monitors.
Tyrelle Caston and Rodavius Stewart are the latest suspects CMPD says cut off their electronic ankle monitors. Chief Kerr Putney is calling out judges and magistrates in Mecklenburg County who let suspects wear the electronic monitors while they await trial.
“You know what, you hold the police accountable we want that same level of accountability and quote on quote transparency too,” says Putney.
Right now: 20 homicide suspects are wearing electronic monitors while they await trial. So far this year, 252 people on electronic monitors have had their bond revoked. 65 have cut off their monitors.
That number has gone up for at least the last four years. From 78 in 2015 to 120 last year.
“I believe the issue we’re having with violence is because we haven’t taken violent offenders seriously enough. Especially those who are repeat violent offenders.”
DA Spencer Merriweather told WCCB last week, he would like to see Preventative Detention used for more crimes in North Carolina. That’s where a judge does not have to set bond.
Chief Putney says his office emailed Judge Regan Miller on Monday, but he hasn’t heard back.