Class-Action Lawsuit Filed Against City Of Charlotte & Several CMPD Officers In Connection Protests Last Year
CHARLOTTE, NC. — On June 2nd, 2020, Lindsay Curlee and Chantel Kennedy say they were among the hundreds of people who were trapped and gassed on Fourth Street while peacefully protesting the murder of George Floyd.
“In that moment, I felt like everyone in that crowd felt like they were dying. They felt like they were going to die they felt like there was not a way to escape the situation,” Curlee says.
The incident led to a CMPD sergeant’s suspension. Wednesday, a class-action lawsuit was filed against the city and several members of CMPD on behalf of protesters who said they were attacked by police. The lawsuit includes about 50 plaintiffs, and the claims include:
-Negligence/gross negligence/negligence per se
-Negligence infliction of emotional distress
-Intentional infliction of emotional distress.
WCCB pressed city leaders, and a spokesperson says they do not have a comment. Kennedy says they want change.
“I want people to be able to come together and be able to exercise their rights without being met with violence,” says Kennedy.
Chief Johnny Jennings announced policy changes, banning the use of tear gas following an investigation of the incident. But Curlee says more needs to be done.
“A demand for justice and reparations to be made for the victims of the kettling incident because it was an unprovoked attack against citizens of the city that the police force took against us,” Curlee says.
Lawyers expect the number of plaintiffs to grow to hundreds.