Davidson downs George Washington, 77-66

[gtxvideo vid=”xGXVGQYw” playlist=”” pid=”Bbt3TRDe” thumb=”http://player.gtxcel.com/thumbs/xGXVGQYw.jpg” vtitle=”davidson gw”]

Courtesy: DavdisonWildcats.Com

DAVIDSON, N.C. – Jack Gibbs and Brian Sullivan went over the 20-point plateau and Davidson drilled 14-of-28 3-pointers as the Wildcats ran their winning streak to seven straight with a 77-66 victory over George Washington Saturday at Belk Arena.

Jordan Barham finished with 17 points and 9 rebounds, while Tyler Kalinowski also joined his backcourt mates in double figures with 11 for Davidson (21-6, 12-4 A-10), which remained tied atop the league standings with Dayton and Rhode Island.
After the Wildcats used an 18-5 run to take their largest lead of the contest, 67-51, George Washington (18-11, 8-8 A-10) responded with 10 straight to cut the deficit to 67-61, with just under four minutes to play. Following a 30-second timeout, Davidson quickly stretched the margin back to double digits, putting the game out of reach.
Davidson shot just 41.8 percent overall, but converted 17-of-21 from the charity stripe, while turning it over just four times.
The Colonials, who hit 11 3-pointers of their own, held a 39-29 advantage on the glass, but committed 13 miscues, which the Wildcats turned into 22 points at the other end.
Joe McDonald led three Colonials in double figures with 20 points, while Kevin Larsen and Nick Griffin added 16 and 12, respectively.
Despite shooting just 34.6 percent and a five-minute scoring drought in the opening period, Davidson closed the half on a 9-4 spurt capped off by a Barham putback at the buzzer, to lead 32-30 at the break. Sullivan and Gibbs led all scorers with 12 points each in the opening period.
George Washington finished the second meeting in 10 days at 45 percent (27-60), while only getting to the free-throw line twice.
The Wildcats will wrap up their 2014-15 home slate with a 9 p.m. nationally-televised contest against VCU Thursday evening.