Officials: Massive Morning Fire In East Charlotte Intentionally Set

CHARLOTTE, NC — Charlotte Fire Department officials say the fire that broke out early Monday morning at the Woodscape Apartments was intentionally set.

Officials say damages are estimated at $300,000 after the fire damaged 40 apartments. According to reports, seven people were also injured in the fire, and 130 people and pets were displaced.

Accroding to Charlotte Fire, the apartments were inspected by the department back in 2014 and had no violations. The complex is on a three year inspection frequency, officials say. Each apartment was inspected for smoke detectors, which were found to be in proper working order, and each breezeway was equipped with fire extinguishers that showed proper service records.

The fire broke out around 1am at the Woodscape Apartment complex on Farm Pond Lane. The three alarm fire took crews about an hour to bring under control, officials say.

One of those injured was a four-year-old girl who was thrown from a third story window during the fire. Officials say she, along with the others injured, are expected to be okay.

The American Red Cross is helping assist those displaced by the fire. The following statement was released Monday afternoon asking the public for clothing donations for the families impacted:

 “The American Red Cross has opened a shelter for families displaced in this morning’s apartment fire that will remain open overnight. The shelter is located at Albemarle Road Middle School, 6900 Democracy Dr., Charlotte, 28212.

For anyone looking to assist families impacted by a home fire, the best way through the Red Cross is by making a financial donation at or calling 800-RED-CROSS. This allows us to quickly provide the families with what they need most at this immediate time.

If you would like to donate clothing, the Red Cross is partnering with Crisis Assistance Ministry at 500 Spratt St. in Charlotte. Clothing may be dropped off there Tuesdaythrough Friday between 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. and Saturday between 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.”

There is no word yet on a suspect.