COLD CASE FILES: Charlotte Murder Case Re-Opens After Almost 30 Years

CHARLOTTE, NC.– First on WCCB: We have learned a Charlotte murder case that’s been cold for almost 30 years, has been re-opened. The family of the victim is desperate for justice.

The murder happened back in 1991. The victim, a 34-year-old cab driver. Investigators say he was shot while dropping off a passenger. Investigators say they are testing evidence from the case for DNA.

Tyrone Glenn was just six years old when he learned about his father’s murder.

“I remember the phone ringing, and my mother getting that call,” says Glenn.

It was  November 17th, 1991. Richard Glenn had been driving a cab for two years. He picked up a passenger early in the morning and dropped the man off on Rodney Avenue in north Charlotte.

That’s when things get sketchy. Police found Glenn’s cab wrecked, investigators say his wallet and money were missing and he had been robbed and shot twice in the head.

But who did it?

“Some of the witnesses saw two suspects run away from the scene,” says CMPD Sgt. Darrell Price.

Officers questioned several witnesses, but the trail went cold. The cab company doesn’t have any record of the fare that night.

“This was a good young man, who was working for a living. He’s trying to do right, and someone who’s too lazy to work, shoots him and kills him,” says Sgt. Price.

Glenn’s family returned to the scene of the crime for the first time Wednesday. Now hopeful that new DNA technology can help find the cab driver’s killer.

“It’s hard because we need some kind of closure. This has been almost 27 years, and we’re still wondering, what’s going on,” says the victim’s sister Carol Thompson.

There’s a reward of up to $5,000 for anyone who has any information leading to an arrest.

If YOU know anything, call Crime Stoppers at:  704-334-1600 or Detective Rice at 704-336-2358