One Killed, Four Injured in Kannapolis House Fire

KANNAPOLIS, NC — A Kannapolis family is recovering after losing a relative in a deadly house fire. Three firefighters were also hurt battling the flames.

The fire started around 5:45 Wednesday morning, and quickly engulfed the house.

Wanda Kincaid got the call that the home her step children lived in was on fire.

“I was praying that all of them got out safe,” she said.

Kincaid, who lives about 20 minutes away, says 8 of the 9 people inside survived. Her step son’s aunt, 69-year-old Patricia Hyatt, died.

According to firefighters, several oxygen tanks exploded inside the home, injuring three firefighters. It’s believed the fire started near a space heater in Hyatt’s room and quickly overtook the house.

Kincaid says the family was preparing to host more relatives for a Thanksgiving meal.

“The turkey is laying on the kitchen table right now,” she said.

Brandon Powell set up a GoFundMe account for the family. He’s the employer for two of the people who lived there.

“This news is just awful during Thanksgiving,” he said. He continued, “We’re hoping people will be able to contribute and help them out with the expenses that inevitably will follow.”

A loved one lost on the eve of Thanksgiving, a home now unlivable, reduced to charred and splintered wood.

“It’s going to be hard,” said Kincaid. “But like I told them, we’re all going to pull together and were going to figure out somewhere for all of us to get together for Thanksgiving.

No one else was seriously hurt in the fire. Kincaid says her step son has burns to his hands and feet.

If you would like to help, you can donate to the family’s GoFundMe by clicking here.