RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – A North Carolina appeals court says President Donald Trump’s 2016 campaign organization isn’t responsible for a state director accused of pointing a loaded pistol against another Trump supporter’s knee.
The state Court of Appeals ruled Wednesday that former campaign worker Vincent Bordini can’t revive his lawsuit against the Trump For President organization.
Bordini last year dropped his lawsuit accusing former North Carolina campaign director Earl Phillip of assault with his .45-caliber handgun as the two rode in a vehicle. Phillip said it never happened.
Appeals judges ruled that the Trump campaign couldn’t be sued because Phillip was working in 2016 as an independent contractor with minimal direction from higher Trump campaign officials.
Judges said campaign managers hadn’t been told of earlier incidents of Phillip erratically waving his gun around people.
Original Story (Aug. 11, 2016):
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — A lawsuit was filed against the Donald J. Trump campaign for president due to an incident allegedly involving a Trump staffer pulling a gun on another staffer.
Vincent Bordini, who claims he was a former Trump campaign staffer, filed the lawsuit in Charlotte on Wednesday.
Bordini says he was riding in a Jeep with Earl Phillips, the Trump campaign’s former North Carolina State Director, when Phillips reportedly pulled out a gun and put the barrel on Bordini’s knee cap.
Bordini claims he reported the incident to several people with the Trump campaign including the manager of Trump’s campaign at the time, Corey Lewandowski. Bordini said even after reporting the incident to several people, nothing was done.
WCCB spoke exclusively with Phillips Thursday morning on the phone after receiving the lawsuit. Listen to his response here:
Phillips also sent WCCB this statement: “I have retained legal counsel. I have also stepped down from all affiliation with any and all organizations associated with Donald J. Trump for President to include the campaign and National Diversity Coalition for Trump.”