New Push Aims At Getting Full Body Cam Footage From Deadly Officer-Involved Shooting Released To Public
There’s a push to get more of the body camera video of a deadly officer-involved shooting released to the public.
We’ve seen two-minutes and 20-seconds involving the shooting of Danquirs Franklin. Now, we’ve learned there’s roughly nine minutes more.
It appears CMPD did not give the judge the entire 11 minute video for a hearing last week. Mayor Vi Lyles and Charlotte City-Council watched the entire thing on Monday, raising concerns about transparency.
Chief Kerr Putney is among those petitioning the court to have the full video released.
In a statement released Thursday afternoon, Mayor Lyles said she and the City Council support Putney’s request for the release.
“Over the past two weeks, as Mayor and the Charlotte City Council, we have worked diligently to respect the dignity of the Franklin family and to be open in our communication with our citizens. After the Superior Court ruled on the release of the body worn cameras, I and the Council viewed what we thought was soon-to-be available to the public. That was our intent. Inadvertently, we were shown more of the video than we should have. Today, Chief Putney filed a petition to release the video to the public in Superior Court. We support his request. I continue to be grateful to be in a city like Charlotte, where we all see that openness is the ultimate goal of our city leaders. I ask for your continued understanding as we work through this process.”
– Charlotte Mayor Vi Lyles
“For public trust and transparency we owe it to our residents the same video that council was able to view, while complying with the court order,” says Charlotte City Council Member Dimple Ajmera.
Charlotte City Attorney Patrick Baker sent an email to Council and the Mayor saying the full video hasn’t been released because the judge did not review it.
We don’t know why CMPD did not give the entire video to Judge Donnie Hoover for the April 11th hearing. That’s where he decided the video would be made public.
CMPD tweeted that it acted in good faith and in compliance with the law in releasing video Monday. It goes on to say:
“However, moving forward, we will provide all BWC video of the petitioned incident to the presiding judge with recommendations for redaction. Our goal is responsible transparency for all involved.” -@CMPD
CHARLOTTE, NC — The attorney for the City of Charlotte says additional hearings could take place next week over new requests for full body camera videos related to the deadly shooting of Danquirs Franklin on March 25th.
In a letter to Mayor Vi Lyles and the City Council, Charlotte City Attorney Patrick Baker says multiple court filings were made Thursday that included supplemental petitions requesting the release of the entire body camera video from Officer Kerl and a motion to show cause relating to CMPD’s release of the video earlier this week.
Court hearings have already been set or will be set, according to Baker, for next week in relation to these requests.
You can read the city attorney’s letter below:
Mayor and Council,
It is my understanding there have been multiple court filings today in relation to this matter. This includes supplemental petitions requesting the release of the entire bodycam video from Officer Kerl of the incident at issue in this matter as well as a motion to show cause relating to CMPD’s release of the subject video earlier this week. It is my further understanding that court hearings on one or more of these matters have or will be set for next week. The City will be bound by any supplemental orders of the court in relation to the release of any additional video footage in accordance with state law.
Below you’ll find a summary provided to me by CMPD officials of the video release as well as the process for release.
Background and Timeline:
- In response to a media outlet’s petition and request for recordings of “the shooting,” the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department produced the 2 minute, 20 second portion of the video to the court for in-camera review.
- Judge Hoover viewed that portion of the video, and in his order directed CMPD to blur the faces of the civilians. The department then took the same 2 minute, 20 second video back to the Judge with the redacted/blurred faces for review and approval, and Judge Hoover approved the redacted/blurred version for release.
- The blurred 2 minute, 20 second recording is exactly what the Judge reviewed in-camera, what was ordered blurred and released, and what was released to the petitioners.
- The Judge received the only recording depicting the shooting.
- CMPD did not redact or withhold any portions of the video post-hearing, other than blurring civilians’ faces in the video per Judge Hoover’s order.
- Any remaining portions of the video outside of the 2 minutes, 20 second video were not reviewed nor released by the Judge.
Moving forward, CMPD will transmit all relevant body-worn camera video of the petitioned incident to the presiding superior court judge, along with appropriate redaction recommendations.
For information and to view the previously released body camera footage, click HERE.