Algae Blamed For Dog Deaths Across The Country Found In Charlotte Area Ponds
CORNELIUS, N.C. — A warning has been issued from the Town of Cornelius as officials say they found an algae bloom in a pond in Robbins Park.
Officials tested the pond and found high levels of harmful bacteria. They say the water is not safe for people and pets. A company has been hired to treat the pond.
Toxic blue-green algae is blamed for the deaths of three dogs in Wilmington. They died within hours of swimming in a pond last week.
Blue-green algae blooms can produce harmful toxins that stop a dog’s liver from functioning. Exposure is often fatal.