Neighboring Pastor Offers Help After Historic West Charlotte Church Catches Fire

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — An area Pastor offering help after the House of Prayer in west Charlotte catches fire. The fire happened early Monday morning and it is unclear how long the building will be closed.

Standing as a staple of the west Charlotte religious community for decades.  The House of Prayer church is now partially burned.

Firefighters say an electrical malfunction caused the steeple to catch fire around 3 a.m. Monday morning.  Someone diriving by saw smoke coming from the front of the church and called 911.

Officials say two dozen firefighters got the flames under control and stopped the fire from spreading.  The damage is estimated at $40,000.

David Williams is the pastor at neighboring Greater Gethsemane AME Zion Church.  Williams says their doors are open if they are called upon to help in the meantime.

“Any time that something happens in our community to our brothers and sisters, our hearts go out.  Without question, we all try to work together because that’s what we are supposed to do. Throw our loving arms around individuals when they’re hurting,” says Williams.

The House of Prayer congregation celebrated its centennial on October 5th.  the church has locations all over the world, including more than 30 in the Charlotte area.

An associate pastor at the House of Prayer says services will resume as soon as possible.