Panthers Readying To Welcome Fans Back to BofA Following Announcement By Gov. Cooper

CHARLOTTE, NC – Preparations are underway to welcome fans back into Bank of America stadium. An announcement by Governor Roy Cooper on Tuesday allows large outdoor venues to open up in the coming weeks.

“Overall we’re seeing some stability, some improvements,” said Dr. Mandy Cohen, the NCDHHS Director.

COVID-19 key metrics are on the decline across the state and in Mecklenburg County. The percent positive rate is hovering just above 5%, which is down from earlier this month.

“This is not a final destination,” said Cohen, “we have to keep working to keep that stability and further make progress.”

Gov. Cooper announced that large outdoor event venues that hold more than 10,000 people will be able to bring fans and spectators back inside at 7% capacity starting october 4th.

 “We do believe outdoor events are safer than indoor events and therefore that’s why we’re concentrating in that lane.”

That means nearly 1,100 of the more than 15,000 seats at UNC Charlotte’s football stadium can be filled. PNC Music Pavillion can hold 19,500 people, but only 1,300 will be allowed.  And Bank of America stadium, with more than 75,000 seats can only have about 5,000 fans.

The panthers releasing a statement saying they’re excited to bring fans back,

We have worked for months to develop and implement a responsible and comprehensive plan for the return of fans and we are confident that it will ensure that the game day experience is enjoyable and as safe as possible,”

Earlier this month, state and county leaders rejected a similar reduced capacity plan presented by the Panthers before the home opener.

Masks and physical distancing will continue to be implemented at the large outdoor venues.

“Because of our continued stability. We plan to take another step towards phase three in the coming days if our progress holds,” said Cooper.