Protesters Gather Outside Rock Hill Police Department After Video Surfaces Showing Arrest Of 2 Black Men


ROCK HILL, S.C. — Community members gathered outside the Rock Hill Police Department on Wednesday in protest, after a video surfaced showing two Black men getting arrested earlier in the day.

Hundreds of protesters shut down the intersection of Dave Lyle Boulevard and Black Street in Rock Hill to demand accountability from police.

Police say no arrests were made during the protest, officers were struck with bottles and rocks, but no injuries have been reported.

In the video posted to social media, it appears officers and two men get into a physical altercation that includes one suspect on the ground with officers on top of him, hitting him.

Officers say they were conducting surveillance on June 23rd, when at 1:56 p.m. they saw Ricky Price, a known offender, driving a black 2017 Mustang on Dave Lyle Boulevard.

Police say Price was pulled over after making an illegal turn and changing lanes unlawfully.

Price then pulled his Mustang into a gas station on Willowbrook Avenue and began moving around the vehicle out of officer’s view, according to a news release.

Officers say they called for a K-9 to conduct a vehicle sniff, based on prior interactions with Price. After a K-9 alerted officers to the presence of illegal narcotics inside the car, Price was asked to step out of the vehicle.

Officers say they found two bags of marijuana hidden in the driver’s door panel and a 9mm pistol in the back seat of the car during their search.

Officers say they placed Price under arrest and into handcuffs.

During their search, police say Price’s brother, Travis Price, arrived at the scene and approached officers.

Travis Price attempted to gather the belongings that officers were removing from his brother’s person, but was told to move back.

Police say Travis Price bumped the officers backwards with his body and continued to reach for belongings, while yelling belligerently.

At this point, police placed Travis Price under arrest for interfering and making physical contact with officers.

While officers attempted to arrest Travis Price, he refused to put his hands behind his back and shoved them again.

Officers say they pushed Travis Price against a large tank, and a struggle ensued between officers and the suspect.

Police say Travis Price went to the ground, while officers were attempting to gain control of the situation.

During this time, other officers were collecting jewelry from Ricky Price to be passed to someone else on the scene for safekeeping.

When officers removed Ricky Price’s handcuffs to help with this, he attempted to flee and threw several punches at them, according to a news release.

Police say they deployed a K-9 to gain compliance, with the handler maintaining control of the police dog, as Ricky Price continued to resist arrest.

Several officers and Ricky Price fell to the ground in the parking lot as Price fought to escape police.

One officer punched Ricky Price’s leg on the Common Peroneal Nerve to get the situation under control, but the strike had no effect.

Ricky Price was then punched in the nose, which caused him to bleed, and was quickly apprehended, according to a news release.

Officers were able to take both Price brothers into custody at this time.

Officers gave aid following the punch and EMS was called, but Ricky Price was placed in a patrol vehicle to meet EMS at the Law Center.

EMS then took Ricky Price to Piedmont Medical Center for treatment.

Police say a Crown Royal bag containing crack cocaine was found where Ricky Price was seated on the ambulance.

Travis Price was placed in a patrol vehicle as well and taken to Rock Hill City Jail, where he was charged with Hindering Police, according to a news release.

Ricky Price was charged with Possession with intent to Distribute Crack Cocaine, Possession with Intent to Distribute Marijuana, Carrying a Pistol Unlawfully, Unlawful Possession of a Firearm by a Person Convicted of a Violent Offense, and Resisting Arrest for his involvement in this case, police say.

Police say at no time was a K-9 used to bite either suspect, and officers did not deploy any weapons or use any tasers during the incident.

Check back for updates.