RALEIGH, N.C. — North Carolina residents are being urged by officials not to set up house calls for hairdressers and massage therapists during the stay-at-home order for the coronavirus outbreak, saying such arrangements put those providers at both professional and health risks.
Since all salons and spas have closed, officials say some providers have been offering or getting requests to make house calls, WRAL reported on Monday. Providers who make house calls could lose their license and face a misdemeanor charge.
New restrictions on business operations and prohibitions of gatherings of more than 10 people issued by Gov. Roy Cooper last Friday were set to take effect at 5 p.m. Monday. Several urban counties and some cities already began enforcing similar orders late last week.
Lynda Elliott, executive director with the N.C. Cosmetic Arts Board, says that since people working in the industry are hands-on with the client, there’s no way to keep six feet apart.
“What happens if you are the person that ends up spreading COVID-19 and individuals die because you weren’t adhering to that social distancing? I think people are not understanding what could happen or the severity of it,” Elliott said.