City Moving Forward With 2020 RNC Despite Concerns
CHARLOTTE, N.C. – City leaders are moving forward with plans to host the Republican National Convention, despite calls from some to revoke the invitation.
“I don’t believe that you’re going to be able to walk away from this contract,” city attorney Patrick Baker said during Monday night’s City Council meeting.
He says city leaders have few options if they want to un-invite the RNC.
“I think that you should expect that you would be sued, for starters,” Baker said.
Baker says a judge could force the city to follow through on the deal, even if it tries to walk away.
It left many in the chamber disappointed, some who spoke out against hosting the convention.
“I am wondering what the actually financial gain would look like that you are worth risking the safety and security of your constituents,” said Diana Levitt, during public comment.
Much of the outcry was sparked after President Trump’s rally in Greenville last week, where a crowd changed, “Sent her back.”
Council also passed a resolution condemning racist remarks from President Trump.
It reads in part,”…Council deems it imperative to condemn such racist and xenophobic language that only serves to stoke fear of others and perpetuate division everywhere…”
But some critics say this resolution is too little, too late, like former mayor Jennifer Roberts, who weighed in on Twitter writing in part, “I guess it had to happen in NC before this council and mayor would make a statement.”
“Resolutions usually just bog down things,” says Robert Dawkins, with Action NC.
“Just a statement, ‘We hope Trump gets to be a better person,’ doesn’t carry much weight,” Dawkins says.
But former State Senator Malcolm Graham says city leaders have a moral obligation to speak up.
“It’s never too late to take a stand against racism, hatred, and bigotry,” Graham says.