Five More People In Wake County Test Positive For Coronavirus, Says NC Health Dept.

RALEIGH, N.C. — Five more people in Wake County tested presumptively positive Monday for coronavirus, according to the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services. All five people traveled to Boston in late February to attend a BioGen conference. Several cases of coronavirus across the country are tied to the same conference, says DHHS. The five people are in isolation in their respective homes, says DHHS. These five cases are not related to the Wake County resident who tested positive last week. That person is also in isolation and their home.

The tests were conducted by the North Carolina State Laboratory of Public Health, and will be confirmed by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Until the results are confirmed, DHHS will treat the cases as positive and follow CDC guidelines to protect public health and limit the spread of the infection.

The Wake County Public Health Division says it is already working to identify close contacts. DHHS says, “The CDC defines close contact as being within approximately 6 feet of a person with a (coronavirus) infection for a prolonged period of time. Based on information provided by the individual, county health officials will assess risks of exposure, determine which if any additional measures are needed such as temperature and symptom checks, quarantine and/or testing.”

Health experts say coronavirus is most commonly spread through respiratory droplets. People should take the same measures that prevent the spread of the flu and other viruses, including washing your hands, avoiding touching your face, staying home if you are sick and covering coughs and sneezes with your elbow.

DHHS says people who live in North Carolina who have questions or concerns about coronavirus can call the coronavirus phone line toll-free at 866-462-3821. This helpline is staffed by the North Carolina Poison Control 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.