Mecklenburg Polling Places Ready For Election Day

CHARLOTTE, NC – Final preparations are underway in Mecklenburg county as hundreds of poll workers prepare for election day crowds. 

 “I think were all set up for good spacing to keep social distancing for voters and make sure everything runs smoothly,” said Mark Henriques, the Chief Judge at the Oasis Temple polling site in University City. 

There are 195 voting precincts in Mecklenburg county. 

Polls open at 6:30 Tuesday morning. People must be in line by 7:30pm in order to vote. 

People must go to their assigned polling site. 

You do not need an ID to vote. 

Across the state, about 4.6 Million North Carolinians have already voted, which is roughly 62% of the registered voters.  

In Mecklenburg County,  Elections Director Michael Dickerson says he expects between 60 and 80 thousand voters tomorrow.  About 100,000 fewer than in 2016. 

“That would be a drastic number reduced, which is expected with COVID19 pandemic and everybody wanting to get out and early vote,” said Dickerson.

A record 489,000 people voted early in Mecklenburg, which is more than the entirety of votes cast in 2016.  

A new addition to the polling locations this year is plexiglass, hand sanitizer, masks, and social distancing. 

“So that they can stay safe and they can stay healthy, machines will be separated, there will be sanitizer all around,” said Dickerson.

Safety and security of the election results are top of mind as well. 

“Our primary objective is accuracy more than speed,” said Karen Brinson Bell, the NCSBE Exec. Dir. 

The United States Department of Justice will have staff in Mecklenburg to monitor polling locations, as they have in past elections.  

“Printers will jam. Voters may have to wait a little while in some locations and unofficial results could take some time to be uploaded. All of this is normal. We see it in every election and 2020 will be no different,” said Damon Circosta, the NCSBE Chairman. 

State officials say they expect 97% of the votes to be reported by early Wednesday morning. The remaining 3% will be counted up until November 12th. The unofficial results will be audited on November 13th.

 The State Board will meet on November 24th to certify the results.