Property Owners Given 72 Hours To Clear Tent City Encampments

CHARLOTTE, NC –  Property owners of the north end encampment now have until Monday evening to clean up their lots and submit an extermination plan to the county following the removal of more than two hundred people previously living in tents on the land.

“They don’t ask for this. They don’t deserve this,” said Katrina Carter, a former tent city resident.

Carter was helping people pack up their belongings on Friday. She says she is frustrated with how the process unfolded.

“Why didn’t they help them before? Why didn’t they help us before?” questioned Carter.

The county issued an order earlier this week for all the residents to vacate the encampment, which stretches several blocks, due to a rat infestation.

“I want to help in any way I can because this is insane. This is insane,” said Shawnna McCleave.

McCleave was dropping off supplies.

“I have some care packets. Has water, sanitizer, toothpaste, sanitary napkins,” said McCleave.

“I think we’re going to try and do what we can to find supportive housing for these folks,” said Mecklenburg County Manager Dena Diorio.

“It’s really the property owners responsibility to have those people removed. And we’re going to rely on the property owners to do what they need to do to make that happen,” she continued.

More than 210 people have checked into the hotel, where they will receive services and meals for the next 90 days. The county says only a handful of people remain on site.

“This effort was not designed to solve homelessness in Mecklenburg county. This was designed to relocate people from a specific situation that was not safe for them,” said Diorio.

The big question still remains, what will be done following the 90 day period. County leaders called on others to step up.

“This is a community issue. A community wide issue and we need the community to come together to address this issue on a bigger level,” said Harris.