Tasty Tuesday: Texas Twinkies
Every Tuesday on Rising is Tasty Tuesday - and today we're making Texas Twinkies
CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Every Tuesday on Rising is Tasty Tuesday, and today we’re making Texas Twinkies!
Big shout-out to First Due BBQ for the idea!
Check out the recipe and pictures below.
Ingredients / Tools:
- Smoked Brisket (or meat of choice)
- Cream Cheese
- Shredded Cheddar
- Salt & Pepper
- Optional: other seasonings of choice & barbecue sauce
- Basting Brush
- Food Processor
- Piping Bag or Plastic Bag
- Sheet Tray
- Fire up your Pit Boss and preheat to 400° F. If using a gas or charcoal grill, set it for medium-high heat. If using an oven, set to 350°.
- Place jalapeños on a sheet tray. Cut the stem caps off and remove the seeds then discard. Note: we recommend soaking the peppers in ginger ale or water for an hour to eliminate more of the seed oil so they’re not overly spicy. *Keep the stem caps for later*
- In a food processor, add the brisket and pulse several times until shredded. You can also diced the cooked brisket if you prefer a chunkier mix.
- Transfer to a bowl and combine with softened cream cheese, shredded cheddar, salt, pepper, and any other seasoning(s) of choice.
- Fill each jalapeño with cream cheese mixture until full, then place the cap back on. Wrap each jalapeño with a slice of bacon, then skewer crosswise with toothpicks (if slicing peppers in half, fill one half, and cover with the remaining half).
- Place a mesh, metal pan on grill grate and transfer jalapeños to pan. Cover grill and cook for 35 minutes. If cooking in the oven, let them back 30-40 minutes until peppers soften.
- Optional: baste jalapeños generously with BBQ sauce, cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Serve hot.